powder room(redirected from a powder room)
1. A small bathroom in a house, typically on the lower level, consisting of a toilet and a sink but not a bath or shower. There is a powder room at the end of the hallway you may use.
2. euphemism A public restroom for women. Excuse me, could you please tell me where your powder room is? One moment, I just need to go use the powder room.
3. obsolete A gunpowder magazine (a storage facility for gunpowder) contained within a larger building. What are you doing with an open flame near the powder room, you fool?
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a small bathroom without bathing facilities in a private home, usually located for the convenience of guests. Excuse me, where is the powder room?
2. n. the ladies’ restroom in a public place, especially a restaurant; the place women go to powder their noses. (The emphasis is on comforts other than toilet facilities, such as mirrors, places to rest, and even a maid to help with emergency repairs of makeup or clothing.) The ladies went to the powder room. They’ll be back in a minute.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.