match for(redirected from a perfect match for)
match for (someone or something)
1. Someone who is well suited to someone else, especially as a romantic partner. We're actually a perfect match for one another, despite our differences in personality—maybe even because of those differences. I think he would be a good match for you—just go on one date and see how you get on!
2. Someone who able to stand up to or compete against someone else with equal strength or skill. Often used in negative constructions. They've had an impressive run this season, but the young team is just no match for the returning champions. No one put much faith in the young defense attorney, but he has proven a match for the state prosecutor.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
match for (someone, something, or an animal)
someone, something, or an animal that is the equal of someone, something, or some other animal, especially in a contest. My older brother is no match for me; he's much weaker. Your horse is no match for mine in a race. Mine will always win.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- be out of (one's) league
- be out of somebody's league
- (one) puts (one's) pants on one leg at a time
- accompany (one) on a/(one's) journey
- accompany on a journey
- a stranger to (someone or something)
- be in bad with (someone)
- bargain for (someone or something) with (someone)
- brief (someone) about (someone or something)