one-man show(redirected from a one-man show)
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. A company or organization where most or all of the work is handled by one man. (Alternatively, "one-woman show.") My business started out as a one-man show. I did pretty much everything myself until I could afford to hire some help.
2. A theater performance that is written, directed, and performed by one man. (Alternatively, "one-woman show.") I heard Pete is doing his one-man show during the Fringe Festival next month!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. Lit. a performance put on by one person. It was a one-man show, but it was very entertaining. For a one-man show, it was very long.
2. Fig. an exhibition of the artistic works of one person. She is having a one-man show at the Northside Gallery. I'm having a one-man show next weekend. Come and see what I have done.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
Also, one-man band. A person who does or manages just about everything, as in This department is a one-man show-the chairman runs it all, or John conducts the interviews, writes the articles, solicits ads, deals with the printer-he's a one-man band . This idiom alludes to the actor or artist responsible for the entire performance or exhibit, or the musician who plays every instrument in the group. [First half of 1900s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. n. a performance put on by one person. It was a one-man show, but it was very entertaining.
2. n. an exhibition of the artistic works of one person. She is having a one-man show at the Northside Gallery.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.