numbers game(redirected from a numbers-game)
1. The use of mathematics to deliberately manipulate facts or results. The accounting in that company was just a numbers game, so it's no wonder they got audited.
2. A scenario in which an increase in a certain type of action should lead to greater chance of a particular outcome (e.g. success). Dating is a numbers game. The more people you meet, the better your chances are at finding love.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
a numbers gameor
the numbers game
COMMON A numbers game or the numbers game is a way of using figures to support an argument, often in a way that is dishonest or has no real meaning. She has criticized the numbers game which assumes that an exhibition receiving 5,000 visitors each day is better than one receiving 3,000. Note: You can also say that someone plays a numbers game or plays the numbers game. The problem in the Church is that we play the numbers game whereby success is marked by attendance figures. Note: In the United States, the `numbers game' or `numbers racket' is an illegal lottery. It involves people placing small bets on a series of numbers that appear in particular sections of that day's newspaper, for example the stock market figures.
Collins COBUILD Idioms Dictionary, 3rd ed. © HarperCollins Publishers 2012
a/the ˈnumbers gamea way of considering an activity, etc. that is concerned only with the number of people doing something, things achieved, etc., not with who or what they are: Candidates were playing the numbers game as the crucial vote drew closer.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- a numbers game
- a/the numbers game
- play games
- play games (with one)
- stack the odds against (someone or something)
- stack the odds in the favor of (someone or something)
- stack the odds in (someone's or something's) favor
- stack the cards in the favor of (someone or something)
- stack the deck in the favor of (someone or something)
- poison (one) against (someone or something)