nod(redirected from a nod)
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. informal A nomination for an award. I'm really glad to see her get the nod for Best Director. Even if she doesn't win, the fact that she is in the running is important.
2. informal An appointment to something, such as a position or promotion. I'm glad Tom got the nod for the regional manager position. He'll do a great job.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
Fig. someone's choice for a position or task. (*Typically: get ~; have ~; give someone ~.) The manager is going to pick the new sales manager. I think Ann will get the nod. I had the nod for captain of the team, but I decided not to do it.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- a nod and a wink
- a nod is as good as a wink
- a nod is as good as a wink to a blind bat
- a nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse
- a nod is as good as a wink to a blind man
- a nodding acquaintance
- a nodding acquaintance with (someone or something)
- a nod's as good as a wink
- be in the Land of Nod
- be on nodding terms
- be on nodding terms (with someone)
- be on nodding terms with somebody
- even Homer (sometimes) nods
- even Jove (sometimes) nods
- get the nod
- give (someone or something) the nod
- give somebody the nod
- give someone the nod
- give the nod to
- have a nodding acquaintance (with someone or something)
- have a nodding acquaintance with somebody/something
- have a nodding acquaintance with someone or something
- Homeric nod
- in the Land of Nod
- land of Nod
- nod at
- nod at (someone)
- nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse
- nod off
- nod out
- nod the nut
- nod through
- nodded out
- nodding acquaintance
- nodding acquaintance, a
- on the nod
- the Land of Nod