Holy Joe(redirected from a holy Joe)
1. A minister or clergyman. I hope the Holy Joe is in the chapel right now—I really need to talk to someone.
2. Someone who is very pious or moralistic, especially in a sanctimonious or self-righteous manner. Our neighbor Clarence can be such a Holy Joe to us whenever we miss Mass.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. a chaplain; a cleric; a clergyman. I went to see the holy Joe, and he was a lot of help. Old holy Joe wants to see all of us at services.
2. a very pious person. Martin looks stuffy, but he's no holy Joe. Don't let that holy Joe hear about what you've done.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. n. a chaplain; a cleric; a clergyman. Old holy Joe wants to see all of us at services.
2. n. a very pious person. Don’t let that holy Joe hear about what you’ve done.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.