heap(redirected from a heap)
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. informal A large amount (of something). There was already a heap of people waiting to get into the store this morning. We've had a heap of problems getting our product out to market.
2. slang An old, beat-up, or run-down car. I know it isn't a looker, but this heap still runs great. My dad said he would get me a car for my birthday, but he just gave me his old heap and bought a new one for himself!
1. noun, informal A large amount (of something). He's got heaps of money. He can afford to buy us lunch. We've had heaps of problems getting our product out to market.
2. adverb, informal Used as an intensifier meaning "very much" or "a lot." A: "How are you feeling? I heard you were pretty run-down last week." B: "I'm heaps better, thanks for asking!" I've driven the car heaps and never once did I have a problem with it. You must just be unlucky. I should have installed more memory in my computer ages ago—it's heaps faster now!
See also: heap
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. an old car. (see also load.) I’ve got to get my heap fixed up.
2. n. any dilapidated thing or person. We have to fix up this heap if we’re really going to live in it.
3. and heaps n. lots (of something). Mr. Wilson has heaps of money.
See also: heap
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- a heap sight
- a whole heap
- at the bottom of the heap
- at the bottom/top of the pile/heap
- at the top of the heap
- be struck all of a heap
- bottom of the barrel
- bottom of the heap
- collapse, fall, etc. in/into a heap
- do (one) a heap of good
- do a power of good
- fall into a heap
- heap (someone or something) with (something)
- heap (something) on (someone or something)
- heap (something) upon (someone or something)
- heap (something) with (something)
- heap coals of fire on (one's) head
- heap coals of fire on someone's head
- heap of
- heap of (something)
- heap on
- heap Pelion on Ossa
- heap scorn on (one's) head
- heap sight
- heap up
- heap with
- heap/pour scorn on somebody/something
- heaping Pelion on Ossa
- heaping Pelion upon Ossa
- heaps better, more, older, etc.
- in a heap
- junk heap
- on the scrap heap
- pour scorn on (one's) head
- thanks a heap
- thanks heaps
- the bottom of the heap
- the top of the heap
- throw (someone or something) on the scrap heap
- top of the heap
- whole heap more