hacker(redirected from a hacker)
1. slang Someone skilled in computer programming. Any one of those IT guys could help you with your computer problem—they're all hackers.
2. slang Someone skilled in computer programming who uses this knowledge to gain unauthorized access to things like online accounts and computer files and systems. Some hacker accessed that credit card company's files over the weekend.
3. slang A poor or unskillful golfer. If you play with a hacker like him, you'll never get off the first tee, believe me.
4. slang A taxi driver. "Hack" is a nickname for a taxi, referring to a "hackney" carriage. Good luck finding a hacker around here—you're better off taking the bus.
1. n. a taxi driver. You wonder how some of these hackers keep their licenses.
2. n. a sloppy or inefficient computer programmer. This program was written by a real hacker. It’s a mess, but it works.
3. n. a generally unsuccessful person. Poor Pete is just a hacker. He’ll never go any place.
4. n. someone who breaks into a computer electronically. Some hacker broke into our computer!