grind(redirected from a grind)
1. verb, informal To engage in some activity with great intensity, devotion, or dedication. Everyone else has been grinding for their exams this week, so there hasn't been much to do. Our team has been grinding away at this project for months.
2. verb, slang To rotate one's hips and pelvis in an erotic or suggestive manner, especially while dancing. Some guy came up and started grinding against me on the dance floor.
3. noun, informal A tedious or laborious routine, especially of work or study. I'm lucky to have a job in today's economy, but this daily grind is starting to get me down.
4. noun, slang A student who studies or works to an excessive amount or degree. Primarily heard in US. Come on, Tom, don't be such a grind. It's Saturday night—come have some fun for a change!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
in. to sell drugs. He told the cops he wasn’t grinding, but they found his junk.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- a mill cannot grind with water that is past
- an ax(e) to grind
- ax to grind
- ax to grind, an
- axe to grind
- bump and grind
- come to a grinding/screeching halt
- daily grind
- grind (one's) teeth
- grind (someone's) gears
- grind (something) into (something)
- grind (something) to (something)
- grind away
- grind away at (someone or something)
- grind down
- grind into
- grind it out
- grind on
- grind out
- grind to
- grind to a halt
- grind to a halt, to
- grind to a halt/standstill
- grind together
- grind up
- grind your teeth
- have an ax to grind
- have an ax(e) to grind
- have an axe to grind
- mill cannot grind with water that is past
- mills of God grind slowly, yet they grind exceeding small
- mills of the gods grind slowly
- mills of the gods grind slowly(, but they grind exceedingly fine)
- mills of the gods grind slowly, the
- no ax(e) to grind
- the mills of God grind slowly(, but they grind exceedingly fine)