fuck up(redirected from a fuck-up)
1. verb, rude slang To ruin or damage something; to mess up something. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "fuck" and "up." The threat of a hurricane really fucked up our vacation plans! Boy, you really fucked this engine up. When was the last time you got your oil changed? I fucked up my knee in practice last night so I won't be able to play on Saturday.
2. verb, rude slang To make a mistake; to mess up. I think I fucked up by putting it in the oven too soon. You fucked up, Dave. Just admit and we can all move on.
3. verb, rude slang To fail or malfunction. The printer fucked up last night so I still haven't printed my report.
4. noun, rude slang A person who is a complete failure or rarely does anything right. In this usage, the phrase is usually hyphenated. I admit that after college I was kind of a fuck-up. I finally got my act together in my thirties, though.
5. noun, rude slang A mistake. In this usage, the phrase is usually hyphenated. It was one little fuck-up, and I got kicked out of school. It's so unfair. This is not just a fuck-up, Brad—this could ruin your whole life!
6. verb, rude slang To physically assault or strike someone. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "fuck" and "up." The captain of the football team said he'd fuck me up if he caught me talking to his girlfriend again.
1. rude slang Ruined or damaged; messed up. In this usage, a noun of pronoun can be used between "fuck" and "up." Our vacation plans got completely fucked up by the hurricane. I can't use it—it's completely fucked up beyond repair. I think Gene's abusive upbringing really fucked him up.
2. rude slang Heavily intoxicated with drugs or alcohol. You guys were really fucked up at the party last night. Do you remember anything at all?
3. rude slang Depraved or extremely unseemly. That horror movie was fucked up. What kind of sicko comes up with that stuff? The way Ray ended that relationship was fucked up. You don't just ghost someone you've been dating for a year.
1. Ruin, botch, spoil. For example, Don't tell me you're going to fuck up again. It is also put as be fucked up, meaning "be ruined or spoiled," as in This entire project is fucked up. This vulgar usage dates from the early 1900s but did not become widespread until about 1940.
2. Act carelessly or foolishly, mess up, as in I'm sorry, I really fucked up when I invited them. [ Vulgar slang; c. 1940]
3. Break down, fail, as in If the flash mechanism fucks up again, I won't get a picture. [ Vulgar slang; c. 1980]
4. be fucked up. Be very confused or mentally ill; also, intoxicated. For example, He was so fucked up they had to hospitalize him, or What a party-I sure got fucked up. [ Vulgar slang; 1940s]
fuck someone/something up
tv. to mess someone or something up; to damage or ruin someone or something. (Taboo. Usually objectionable.) You fuck up everything you get your hands on!
fuck something up
tv. to mess something up; to wreck something. (Usually objectionable.) Who fucked up my file cabinet?
in. to mess up; to fail. (Taboo. Usually objectionable.) Don’t fuck up this time or you’re fired.
mod. messed up; confused; ruined. (Taboo. Usually objectionable.) This whole project is so fucked up, it’ll take months to straighten out.
1. n. a mess; a hopeless hodgepodge. (Taboo. Usually objectionable.) When you went home yesterday, you left behind a first-class fuck-up. Now you can clean it up.
2. n. someone who does everything wrong; someone who messes everything up. (Taboo. Usually objectionable.) Poor Willie is such a fuck-up. What a mess he has made.