fix up(redirected from a fix-up)
1. To repair or refurbish something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "fix" and "up." I bet this house would look really nice if you just fixed it up a bit.
2. To arrange a date for two people. A noun or pronoun can be used between "fix" and "up." Oh, I've been trying to fix Carmen and Bill up for years—I think they'd be great together!
3. To arrange or provide something for someone. A noun or pronoun can be used between "fix" and "up." Any chance you can fix me up with a room for the night?
4. To settle something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "fix" and "up." Phil is a good mediator—I think he can fix up whatever issues those two have with each other.
fix someone or something up
to rehabilitate someone or something. The doctor said he could fix me up with a few pills. The doctor fixed up the injured hunter and sent him home.
fix someone up (with something)
to supply someone with something. I will fix you up with some alcohol and bandages. The clerk fixed up the lady with what she needed. Larry wanted some film and the clerk fixed him up with the best.
provided with a date. Sam got fixed up with Martha. Okay, Sam is fixed up with a date for Saturday.
1. Repair, refurbish, or renew. For example, They're busy fixing up their house, or We fixed ourselves up before we ventured outside. [Late 1700s]
2. fix someone up. Provide or furnish someone with something, as in He can fix you up with a new car, or Can you fix up my friend with a date for the dance? [Colloquial; c. 1930]
3. Smooth over or settle, as in You'd think they could fix up these small differences. [Late 1800s]
1. To improve the appearance or condition of something; refurbish something: We fixed up the apartment before we moved in. The company fixed up the old theater.
2. To prepare or provide someone or something with another thing: The counselor fixed the campers up with some bag lunches. My parents fixed me up with a few months of rent.
3. To provide a companion on a date for; set up: My cousins fixed me up with their roommate for the big dance. I fixed up my neighbor with one of my coworkers.
mod. provided with a date. Okay, Sam is fixed up with a date for Saturday.