a credit to (someone or something)(redirected from a credit to us)
a credit to (someone or something)
A person or thing that reflects very well on someone or something. You children are so well behaved. They're a real credit to your parenting. Sarah is a credit to this company. We must do everything we can to keep her on board. You should all be proud. The work you've done here today will stand as a credit to you all.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. praise or recognition for one's role in something. (*Typically: get ~; have ~; give someone ~.) Especially with a lot of ~, much ~.) Mary should get a lot of credit for the team's success. Each of the team captains should get credit.
2. praise or recognition of someone for having a particular quality. (*Typically: get ~; have ~; give someone ~.) We give her a lot of credit for her ability to get people to work out their differences. We will give credit to Sharon for her good humor.
3. credit granted to someone's account for some other financial transaction. (*Typically: get ~; have ~; give someone ~.) I will give you credit for the returned merchandise. We got credit for the check Brian sent us.
credit something to someone or something
1. Lit. to record a sum owed to the account of someone or something. I will credit this payment to your account. I am afraid that I accidentally credited your payment to George.
2. Fig. to give someone or something well-deserved praise. The entire organization credited much praise to Jeff. We had to credit much of our success to simple good luck.
credit to someone or something
of value or benefit to someone or something; of enough value or worth as to enhance someone or something. I always want to be a credit to my school. John is not what you would call a credit to his family.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.