charge(redirected from a charge)
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. verb To replenish a battery by connecting it to an electrical source. I have to charge my phone because the battery just died. When my car wouldn't start this morning, I had to call a service to help me charge the battery.
2. noun Control or authority over someone or something. To convey this meaning, the phrase "in charge" is typically used. With this promotion, you will be in charge of the entire department. You need to take charge of this situation before it gets out of control.
3. noun Strong feelings of excitement. I get such a charge from singing on stage that I doubt I'll be able to sleep tonight!
4. noun A drug-induced high. Be careful taking that stuff—I got too much of a charge from it last time.
5. noun A dose or portion of a drug. I just need a little charge—isn't there anything you can give me, man?
*charge (of someone or something)
control of someone or something; the responsibility for caring for someone or something. (*Typically: take ~; have ~; give someone ~.) How long have you had charge of this office? He took charge of the entire company.
charge someone or something (with) something
to make someone or a group pay the cost of something. I will have to charge Bill with the cost of repairs. The manager will charge your account with about forty dollars.
(something) for someone to demand an amount of money to pay for someone's ticket, fare, admission, treatment, etc. Tickets are expensive. They charged sixty dollars for each seat. I didn't realize they charged for children.
1. n. a dose or portion of a drug. (Drugs.) Just a little charge till I can get to my candy man.
2. n. a drug’s rush. (Drugs.) What kind of charge do you expect out of half-cashed weed?
3. n. a thrill. I got a tremendous charge out of your last letter.
See charged up
See also: charge
- be in the charge of (someone)
- bring (one) up on charges
- bring a charge against
- bring a charge against (someone)
- carrying charge
- charge (one) with (something)
- charge (something) (up) to (something)
- charge (something) against (something)
- charge (something) for (something)
- charge (something) off as (something)
- charge (something) on (something)
- charge against
- charge at
- charge at (someone or something)
- charge down
- charge down on
- charge down on (someone or something)
- charge for
- charge in
- charge in(to)
- Charge it to the dust and let the rain settle it
- charge off
- charge off as
- charge on
- charge out
- charge up
- charge up to
- charge with
- charged up
- cost/pay/charge the earth
- dynamite charge
- file charges
- file charges against (one)
- get a bang out of
- get a charge out of
- get a charge out of (something)
- get a charge out of something
- give (one) a charge
- give a bang
- in charge
- in charge of
- in charge of (something)
- in the care of
- in the charge of (someone)
- lay a charge
- leave (someone or something) in the charge of (someone)
- level a charge against
- level a charge against (one)
- pay, earn, charge, etc. top dollar
- place (someone or something) in the charge of (someone)
- prefer charges
- prefer charges against (one)
- press charges
- return to the charge
- take charge
- top dollar
- who died and left you in charge