Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
up and down like a yo-yo
1. Moving rapidly and frequently between high and low positions. Please tell me I didn't forget something else upstairs because I've already been up and down like a yo-yo.
2. Changing rapidly and frequently between highs and lows states. After my sister died, I was up and down like a yo-yo—fine one minute and crying the next. But I guess that's grief for you. The stock market has been swinging up and down like a yo-yo in the face of the government's announcements.
you're on your own
You have to deal with or resolve this situation without my or anyone else's assistance. A: "We'll need to tell the boss that the project won't be finished under the deadline." B: "You're the reason we're so delayed, you're on your own." A: "C'mon, help me clean all this up!" B: "Sorry, you're on your own. I'm heading to the mall with Rachel."
An acronym for "you're on your own," meaning you have to deal with or resolve this situation without my or anyone else's assistance. The abbreviation is only used in writing. A: "Hey, will u tell Mom & Dad I'm @ the library studying?" B: "No way. I don't know what U R up 2, but YOYO." A: "Sally, would you be able to help me with this presentation?" B: "Sorry, YOYO. I'm completely snowed under with work."
1. verb, informal To vacillate, fluctuate, or reverse in opinion, position, or decision very frequently and abruptly. A reference to the action of the toy, a flattened spool wound with string that spins outward from the hand and then retracts again very quickly. The politicians keep yo-yoing on this issue, so it's hard to know where we stand at the moment. The boss yo-yoed for days before he finally made a decision on the proposal.
2. noun, slang A stupid, incompetent, or unpleasant person. Primarily heard in US. Make sure that yo-yo fills in the paperwork on time, or the whole project will come grinding to a halt. Some yo-yo at the department lost my application, so I couldn't get my license renewed before the trip.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
You’re on your ownand YOYO
sent. & comp. abb. You will have no help if you continue. That’s my advice. Ignore it or you’re on your own.
yoyoand yo-yo (ˈjojo)
1. n. a fool; an obnoxious person. Some yoyo wants to talk to you on the phone.
2. mod. stupid. Ask that yo-yo jerk to move along.
3. in. to vacillate; to be wishy-washy. Stop yo-yoing and make up your mind.
4. Go to You’re on your own.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.