wow(redirected from WOW!)
Also found in: Wikipedia.
A dog. Typically used by children. Looky, a cute little bow-wow!
1. noun An informal meeting or conference, especially in order to brainstorm, discuss, or review something. A somewhat flippant allusion to the traditional gatherings held by Native American or First Nations tribes, the term could be considered offensive by some. I think all the departments need to have a powwow together to go over what went wrong on this project. Good, let's have a powwow and see what we can come up with.
2. verb To hold such a meeting. We're going to powwow on Monday to go over the final details.
1. interjection An exclamation of amazement, astonishment, wonder, etc. Wow, what an amazing performance! A: "Here, I got you this bike for your birthday." B: "Wow! Thanks, Uncle Jeff!"
2. noun, informal Any person, thing, or situation that is particularly amazing, astonishing, impressive, delightful, etc. This attraction has been a huge wow for tourists for decade. The biggest wow for me this year was definitely reconnecting with my estranged brother. The young entrepreneur is proving to be a real wow in the tech industry.
3. verb, informal To amaze, astonish, thrill, entertain, or impress someone to a great degree. The magician wowed the audience with her incredible illusions. We really need to wow the board of directors with this presentation.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a dog. (Juvenile.) We’re going to get you a bow-wow!
2. n. an ugly woman; a dog. (Derogatory.) I would have chosen a better nose if I had been given a chance, but—all in all—I’m not such a bow-wow.
1. n. a meeting; a conference. (From an American Indian word.) Let’s have a pow-wow on that issue.
2. in. to hold a meeting or a conference. Let’s pow-wow on that tomorrow.
1. exclam. an indication of amazement or surprise. (Usually Wow!) A whole quarter! Wow! Thanks, mister.
2. tv. to delight or impress someone. That ought to wow them right out of their seats.
3. n. something exciting. For a pretty good wow, try the Empire Theater’s production of “Mame” this weekend.
4. n. an exclamation point. Almost every sentence you write has a wow at the end of it.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.