Also found in: Wikipedia.
slang Marijuana. I smoked a little pot when I was in college, but I never touched anything harder than that. He got arrested for dealing pot.
1. slang A toilet. I was on the pot when the doorbell rang, so I couldn't answer it.
2. informal A sum of money collected communally. We each paid $10 into the pot each month, with the aim of having enough to buy a new coffee machine for the office at the end of the year. Let's all put in a $5 wager. Whoever guesses the outcome right wins the pot, deal?
3. In gambling games like poker, the sum of money that players wager during a hand. I thought I would win the pot with my four of a kind, but Tom won it all with a straight flush.
See also: pot
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a toilet. (Usually with the.) Jimmy’s on the pot, Mommy.
2. n. a drinking vessel. (Old but still heard.) How about a pot of beer?
3. in. to drink heavily; to use a pot (sense 2) to excess. Let’s sit here and pot for a while.
4. n. a vessel, hat, basket, etc., used to collect or receive contributions. Please pass the pot.
5. n. a sum of money collected; a pool of money. How large is the pot this month?
6. n. cannabis; marijuana. (Originally drugs, now widely known.) The cops found pot growing next to city hall.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.