grunt(redirected from The Grunt)
Also found in: Wikipedia.
1. slang One who is servile, often due to lacking power or prestige in a particular setting. Get one of those grunts to do all this filing for you.
2. slang A common soldier, typically of the infantry. Come on, grunts, get in formation!
3. slang A wrestler. I never expected my son to grow up to be some grunt in a wrestling ring.
4. slang A diligent, industrious student. I'm confident she'll get an A in this class—she's one of the grunts.
5. slang A burp. My goodness, Tommy, that was a loud grunt!
Work that is menial and often tedious. Get one of those interns to do this grunt work—that's what they're here for!
To say something in a labored or brusque manner. A noun or pronoun can be used between "grunt" and "out." Luckily, the patient managed to grunt out her symptoms before collapsing. The boss grunted her coffee order out, and I sent my intern to fetch it.
grunt something out
to say something with a snort or grunt. Jane grunted a command out to someone. She grunted out a curt command and the gate opened.
Fig. work that is menial and thankless. During the summer, I earned money doing grunt work. I did all of the grunt work on the project, but my boss got all of the credit.
1. n. an infantry soldier. (Military. From the gutteral sound made by a pig, and anyone doing very heavy labor.) Get those grunts out on the field at sunrise!
2. n. a low-ranking or subservient person. (Someone who is likely to utter a grunt because of the discomforts of menial labor.) Let’s hire a grunt to do this kind of work.
3. n. a belch. Does that grunt mean you like my cooking?
4. n. a hardworking student. The grunts got Bs on the test. It was that hard!
5. n. a wrestler. (Possibly in reference to a grunting pig.) Two big grunts wearing outlandish costumes performed for the television cameras.
grunt workand shit work
n. hard, menial labor; tedious work. (Work that a lesser person ought to be doing.) Who is supposed to do the grunt work around here? Not me! Why am I always doing the shit work?