special(redirected from Specials)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A derisive term for a person who acts or is judged to act entitled to special treatment or opportunities. Generations of students before you have read this book with no gripes about its content, and you will too—you're not special snowflakes.
See also: snowflake
be nothing special
To be not particularly wonderful, remarkable, beautiful, great, etc. A: "How's your sandwich?" B: "Eh, it's nothing special." I don't know why everyone is so enamored of this actress; she's nothing special, in my opinion.
blue plate special
A specifically designated inexpensive meal at a restaurant, diner, or other eatery. The "special" dish typically changes daily. I'm thinking of ordering the blue plate special—what about you? Hey Tammy, what's today's blue plate special?
A brief discount or sale. The phrase refers to the use of flashing blue lights to indicate sudden, brief sales in the department store Kmart. Primarily heard in US. I wonder what today's blue-light special will be. It never seems to be for anything I actually need!
See also: special
early bird special
A special in some restaurants or similar eateries where some meals are available at a lower price before the usual dinner hours. Stereotypically associated with older people and retirees. Since we were there in time for the early bird special, our bill for dinner was really cheap. Geez Mom, why are we eating at 4:30? It's like the early bird special! Do we really have to go for the early bird special? We're not 80!
King Kong pills
1. dated slang Barbiturate pills or tablets. He used to snort coke for hours, then bring himself back down with King Kong pills.
2. slang Temazepam, a sleep-aid commonly sold under the brand name Restoril. If you ever want a weird trip, take some King Kong pills and try to stay awake for as long as possible. Things get loopy.
3. slang A drug or supplement meant to enlarge a man's penis or improve his sexual performance. He bought some King Kong pills online to make his johnson bigger. Who knows what they'll actually do, but I guarantee they won't do that!
Nothing exceptional or particularly wonderful, remarkable, beautiful, great, etc. I don't know why everyone is so enamored of this actress—she's nothing special, in my opinion. A: "What are you doing for your birthday?" B: "Nothing special. We'll probably just stay in."
Saturday night special
slang A small, inexpensive handgun that is easy to obtain and conceal. Eight out of 10 suicides in this city are committed with Saturday night specials.
1. A postal service by which letters or packages are delivered outside of the scheduled mail delivery times for an extra fee. I sent that parcel by special delivery so that you would get it in time for your birthday.
2. A phrase said humorously when giving something to someone, especially if the item is unappealing. A: "Special delivery: here's the report you need to work on!" B: "Gee, thanks."
1. A designation given to a public establishment, such as a school or hospital, that is in need of improvement. Often used in the phrase "in special measures." Primarily heard in UK. My son's school is currently in special measures, so he's transferring to a different one next year.
2. Steps that must be taken, however unusual or extreme, to bring about some outcome. Oh, I will take special measures to ensure that the neighbors' dog stops barking, even if I have to buy him a muzzle myself! Don't worry, we took special measures to make sure that nobody finds us in here—we have furniture blocking all the doors.
Pertaining to one who has a mental or physical disability. I teach special needs kids, and I love it.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
Saturday night special
a small, easily obtainable pistol. There was another killing last night with a Saturday night special. That's the tenth shooting done with a Saturday night special this week.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
King Kong pillsand King Kong specials
n. barbiturates. (see also gorilla biscuits.) Watch out for those King Kong pills. She’s a bit numb from “King Kong specials.”
King Kong specialsverb
See King Kong pills
Saturday night special
n. a small, easily obtainable pistol. There was another killing last night with a Saturday night special.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.