RIF(redirected from Rifs)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
Related to Rifs: RFIS
1. noun An acronym for "reduction in force," referring to the termination of employees due to budget requirements. I've been hearing rumors that another RIF might be in the cards if the company doesn't start turning a bigger profit soon. Sarah's been out of work ever since the RIF at her last job.
2. verb By extension, to terminate one or more employees, especially due to budgetary requirements. Sometimes written in lower case, especially when conjugated. We might have to RIF some employees if we want to keep the business afloat. I can't believe they riffed me, after 30 years of loyal service!
slang Terminated from one's job due to a reduction in staff, often for budgetary requirements. Based on the acronym "RIF," which stands for "reduction in force." I can't believe I got riffed, after 30 years of loyal service! The unfortunate reality of this industry is that it's all too easy to get riffed every time the busy season winds down.
See also: riff
1. tv. to dismiss an employee. (From the euphemism reduction in force.) They’re going to rif John tomorrow.
2. n. a firing; a dismissal. There’s a rif in your future.
1. mod. alcohol or drug intoxicated. I can’t keep getting riffed every night like this.
2. and rift mod. fired; released from employment. (From rif, “reduction in force.” A dismissal not for cause, but simply to reduce the number of workers.) Most of the sales force was rift last week.
See also: riff