Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Queens: List of Queens
gay slang Discretion must be used with both instances of this term since it can be construed as being either derogatory or a celebration of self-identification.
1. A Hispanic or Mexican homosexual male. I like hanging out with fellow bean queens, because we can relate to each other through our culture and our sexual identification.
2. A non-Hispanic homosexual male who is primarily attracted to Hispanic men. I do tend to date mostly Hispanic men, so I suppose you could call me a bit of a bean queen.
A woman who has won, or looks as if she could win, a beauty pageant. When that beauty queen walked in, everyone's heads turned.
A man who wears the clothing and assumes the demeanor of a woman, typically as part of an exaggerated performance piece. A well-known drag queen around the state, he has become an increasingly vocal advocate for gay rights across the country.
A person (usually a woman, though not always) who is given to exaggerated, disproportionate emotional reactions to relatively minor events or situations. Since I was an only child, my mother tended to be a bit of a drama queen about anything happening in my life. Ah, don't be such a drama queen, Tom, they're not going to fire you for a simple mistake like that.
live like a queen
To have a luxurious lifestyle, in which one's every need or desire is satisfied. Typically said of or by a woman. She eventually sold all her stock in the company and lived like a queen for the rest of her years. Me and my girlfriends are taking a luxury cruise next month. We're going to live like queens for two whole weeks!
1. slang A derogatory and highly offensive term for a homosexual male, usually one considered effeminate or flamboyant.
2. slang A reclaimed term used by homosexuals for such a homosexual male (see Definition 1). Me and a couple other queens are heading to the gay pride parade in town. Do you want to come with us?
3. A shortening of "drag queen," a man who wears the clothing and assumes the demeanor of a woman, typically as part of an exaggerated performance piece. Oh, I'll get up there and do another number, for sure—a queen like me loves the stage!
queen it over (one)
To arrogantly assert superiority over one. Said almost exclusively of a woman. OK, yes, you beat me—now quit queening it over me. After her appearance in the film, she started queening it over everyone in class.
1. Of a man, to wear makeup or dress in feminine clothing. Derived from the term "drag queen." (Each of these usages could be considered offensive, depending on the context of how they are being used, and by whom.) I have to dress pretty conservatively during the week for my work, but I love getting queened up on the weekend.
2. Of a man, to dress or behave in a stereotypically homosexual manner. Derived from the term "drag queen." Coming out was just about being true to a part of who I am. I'm not going to start queening up or anything all of a sudden.
3. To dress a man in drag. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "queen" and "up." They queened the actor up a bit to match the flamboyant style of the singer he was playing for the film.
4. To cause or compel a man to act in a more stereotypically homosexual manner. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "queen" and "up." He was always such a well written gay character, though the show's writers queened him up a bit towards the end of the third season.
slang In Japan, a scantily clad young woman who appears at car races, typically performing duties such as waving the race flag and distributing trophies. Are guys really that into car racing, or do they just watch to drool over the race queens? Man, that race queen is gorgeous. But I bet she'd never talk to losers like us.
gay slang A non-Asian homosexual male who is primarily attracted to East Asian men. Discretion must be used, as the term can be construed as being either derogatory or a celebration of self-identification. I do tend to date mostly Asian men, so I suppose you could call me a bit of a rice queen.
slang One whose ideal sexual partner has a large penis. Are you big enough for her? I hear she's a size queen.
turn King's/Queen's evidence
To provide evidence in court against other parties involved in the crime for which one has been charged in order to receive a reduced sentence or to avoid prosecution altogether. (Either "King" or "Queen" is used depending on the current ruling monarch.) Primarily heard in UK. Many are speculating that the government aide taken into custody will agree to turn Queen's evidence against the Chancellor of the Exchequer.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
A male transvestite; also, a female impersonator. For example, He was surprised to find out that Roxanne was actually a drag queen. This term uses the slang noun drag in the sense of "female attire worn by a man" (a usage dating from about 1870; also see in drag). [ Offensive slang; c. 1940]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
turn King’s/Queen’s ˈevidence(British English) (American English turn State’s ˈevidence) give information against other criminals in order to get a less severe punishment: One of the gang turned State’s evidence and identified at least three others involved in the fraud.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
n. a homosexual male. Tom is getting to be such a queen.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.