poor-mouth(redirected from Poor Mouthed)
Also found in: Dictionary, Financial.
1. verb To speak negatively, disparagingly, or unflatteringly about someone or something. Why are you always poor-mouthing Tiffany? You don't even know her that well! I'm not trying to poor-mouth my peers, I just want to be honest about my experience in this industry.
2. verb To complain repeatedly or incessantly of one's poverty, especially so as to inspire sympathy or charity in others. Tom always starts poor-mouthing whenever we go out for a meal, whining about how things are too expensive on his reduced income. I usually end up buying his dinner for him just to shut him up! You've poor-mouthed to me for the last time, Nancy. Either you pay your share of the rent, or you get out.
3. noun A complaint or plea about one's poverty or limited financial means. I'm not trying to play the poor-mouth or anything, but I want to explain why I can't come along on the trip. He ordered the most expensive items on the menu, then had the gall to put on the poor-mouth when it came time to divvy up the bill!
1. tv. to speak ill of someone. (see also bad-mouth.) Please don’t poor-mouth my brother.
2. in. to speak repeatedly of how little money one has; to plead poverty. Spend more time looking for a job and less time poor-mouthing.