(oh,) snap(redirected from Oh, snap)
1. An exclamation of shock, surprise, or disbelief when someone says or does something remarkably or controversially incisive, especially an insult or retort. A: "The boss said my work had been getting too sloppy to keep me on the team, so I told her, 'At least my company isn't on the brink of bankruptcy!'" B: "Oh, snap! I can't believe you said that!" A: "I don't know why John is giving you dating advice—he couldn't get a date if he was the last guy on the planet." B: "Hahaha, snap!"
2. An exclamation of dismay or vexation, especially upon remembering or realizing something unfortunate or undesirable. A: "How's studying going for your exam?" B: "Oh, snap! I forgot that was this week—I'd better hit the books!" A: "Remember that I've got work on Saturday, so I need you home to look after your little sister." B: "Snap, that's this Saturday? But I was going to go to Jeff's house for a party!"
3. An exclamation of joy or excitement when something very good or fortunate happens. Just found out I aced my exam—snap! Oh, snap—we're going to states!
See also: snap
1. verb To go crazy. One day, she just snapped and started threatening people in the office.
2. noun Something that is very easy or effortless to do. A song like this will be a snap once you get more comfortable with playing the guitar.
3. A snapshot photograph. Oh, those snaps won't work—they're too dark.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a snapshot. I got some good snaps of the fish you caught.
2. in. to go crazy. His mind snapped, and he’s never been right since.
3. and a snap n. an easy thing to do. (Always with a in this sense.) Nothing to it. It’s a snap.
exclam. Wow! Snap! Great idea!
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.