Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to looking up: Things Are Looking Up
1. To turn one's gaze or attention from something else. In this usage, "look up" is a set phrase. Can you please look up from that book for a second? I'm trying to talk to you!
2. To use a book or other similar resource to find information. Can you look up the definition of this word for me?
3. To contact someone. Be sure to look me up if you're ever in New York.
4. To improve or become better. In this usage, "look up" is a set phrase typically used in the present tense ("looking up"). My freelance business is finally looking up—I've had potential clients calling me non-stop!
5. To view someone with admiration and esteem. In this usage, the phrase is "look up to (someone or something)." Of course I look up to you—you're my big sister!
Appearing as if improvement will begin or continue into the future. Now that businesses have started returning, the country's economy is finally looking up.