let in(redirected from Let Me In)
Also found in: Wikipedia.
1. To allow or permit someone or something to enter (some place or event). A noun or pronoun can be used between "let" and "in." They don't usually let kids in, but this was something of a special occasion. Tom! Go get the door and let the dog in. Close that window—you're letting in cold air!
2. To allow or permit someone to join (some group or membership). A noun or pronoun can be used between "let" and "in." This is an exclusive club. We don't let in just anyone off the street! They'll only let you in to their VIP membership program if you earn over $100,000 a year.
3. To allow oneself to become emotionally available or vulnerable to another person. A noun or pronoun can be used between "let" and "in." I'm just trying to understand why you feel this way. Why won't you let me in? He's gone his whole life without letting in other people, preferring to keep all those feelings bottled up to himself.
4. To allow oneself to experience some emotion without reservation. A noun or pronoun can be used between "let" and "in." You've got to let in your grief if you're ever going to truly heal from it. I've always had trouble letting kindness in from other people.
See also: let
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. To allow someone or something to enter some place; admit someone or something: We don't usually let the cat in the house. I opened a window to let in some fresh air. There was no answer at the door, so I got the key from under the mat and let myself in.
2. let in for To make oneself subject or vulnerable to something: I didn't know the trouble I was letting myself in for when I accepted that invitation.
3. let in on To tell someone something that has been kept private: I'll let you in on a secret if you promise not to tell anyone. They won't let me in on their plans.
See also: let
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.