juvie(redirected from Juvy)
1. slang A shortening of "juvenile detention" or "juvenile hall," a center for the detention of juvenile delinquents. I heard Tommy got sent to juvie for stealing the principal's car.
2. slang Any person under the age of minority; a juvenile. Used especially in reference to those involved in the legal or criminal justice system. My mom works with juvies who were the victims of parental abuse. Police officers have to be especially careful when dealing with juvies, so we make sure everyone has gone through an intensive training program when they join the force.
3. slang Any animal that has not grown to full size and maturity. Can also be used as a modifier before a noun. Your snake is a juvie, that's why it is just a solid color. It will develop stripes as it matures. I actually think the bird you saw is a juvie red-tailed hawk, rather than a Cooper's hawk.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a police officer concerned with juveniles. (Underworld.) The juvies have to know juvenile law cold.
2. n. a youth; a teenager under age eighteen. (Underworld.) I work with juvies a lot. I try to get them back on the track.
3. mod. juvenile. She still has a lot of juvie attitudes.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.