fed(redirected from Feds)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
informal A shortening of "The Federal Reserve" or "the Federal Reserve System" the central banking system of the United States. Primarily heard in US. The Fed has said it will not raise interest rates this year in an attempt to stabilize the economy. Inflation is expected to increase 2.3%—significantly higher than the Fed's prediction in December.
See also: fed
Any federal agency, or the individual agents thereof, responsible for enforcing laws regarding drugs, taxes, immigration, etc. Primarily heard in US. The massive amounts of money coming in and out of the company's accounts attracted the attention of the feds, who suspected they might be involved in money laundering. It turned out the drug dealer had been working as an informant for the feds for years, supplying information on rival gangs and distributors around the country. As soon as this becomes a hostage situation, the feds will take over.
See also: fed
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. and the feds n. a federal agent concerned with narcotics, tax collection, customs, etc. Some fed was prowling around asking questions about you.
2. and The Fed n. the Federal Reserve Board. (Colloquial. Usually Fed. Always with the in this sense.) The Fed is not likely to raise interest rates very soon again.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- be fed up (with someone or something)
- be fed up to the back teeth
- be spoon-fed
- become fed up (with someone or something)
- fed to death
- fed to the gills
- fed to the teeth
- fed up
- fed up (with someone or something)
- fed up to the back teeth
- fed up to the back teeth (with someone or something)
- fed up to the back teeth with somebody/something
- fed up to the teeth
- feed (one) a line
- feed (one's) ego
- feed (one's) face
- feed (something) back into (something)
- feed (something) to (someone or an animal)
- feed into (something)
- feed off (of) (someone or something)
- feed the beast
- feed the dragon
- feed the fishes
- feed the kitty
- feed the meter
- feed up
- get fed up (with someone or something)
- I'm fed up
- the Fed
- the feds