die laughing(redirected from Dying laughing)
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. To die happy. You're always so cheerful that I wouldn't be surprised if you died laughing.
2. To exact revenge on someone in death. If you keep fighting with your mother now, she might ultimately die laughing by taking you out of her will.
3. To laugh very hard and for a long time. We all died laughing when we saw Dave's Halloween costume.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. Lit. to meet one's death laughing-in good spirits, revenge, or irony. Sally is such an optimist that she'll probably die laughing. Bob tried to poison his rich aunt, who then died laughing because she had taken Bob out of her will.
2. Fig. to laugh very long and hard. The joke was so funny that I almost died laughing. The play was meant to be funny, but the audience didn't exactly die laughing.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
Experience extreme amusement, as in When his pants fell down, I thought I'd die laughing. This hyperbolic expression was used by Shakespeare in The Taming of the Shrew (3:2): "Went they not quickly, I should die with laughing." Also see split one's sides.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
die ˈlaughing(informal) find something extremely funny: I nearly died laughing when he said that.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
in. to “perish” (figuratively) from laughter or some other emotionally intense response. The whole audience died laughing.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.