Also found in: Dictionary, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
them's the breaks
There is nothing we can do about the way things have unfolded, especially bad ones, so there is no reason to be upset about it; that's just the way things are. I'm pretty gutted about not getting into the grad school program I wanted, but hey, them's the breaks.
See also: break
1. verb To show someone how something functions or how to operate it. My boss wants me to demo the software to her. Can you demo this exercise machine for me so I don't hurt myself?
2. noun An explanation of how something functions or how to operate it. My boss wants a demo of the software—can you help her? Can you give me a demo on this exercise machine so I don't hurt myself?
3. noun A car or machine used primarily to show someone how something functions or how to operate it. This car is just like the demo Phil showed me at the dealership.
A shortening of "Democrat," referring to a member of the Democratic Party. Of course they're arguing—he's a dem and she's a Republican.
1. and dem (dɛm) n. a member of the Democratic Party. A couple of dems are running for the caucus, but no other party is represented.
2. n. a demonstration (of something). Hey, Chuck, give this man a demo.
3. n. an automobile or other machine or device that has been used by a dealer for demonstration purposes. I can give you a demo for half price.
4. tv. to demonstrate something (to someone). Let me demo this for you so you can see how it works.
5. tv. to demonstrate (something) to someone. I’ve got to go demo these people on this software.