Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. In blackjack, a request for the dealer to give one another card. I was still pretty far from 21, so I said, "Hit me!" A: "A jack of spades and a two of hearts. That's 12." B: "Hit me."
2. slang Go ahead and ask me your question or tell me what you were going to say. A: "I've got the sales numbers back." B: "OK, hit me." A: "Well, it's not great." A: "Boss, could I ask you something?" B: "Sure, Tom. Hit me."
3. slang A request for another alcoholic drink. Yeah, I'll take another shot—hit me!
4. slang A request for someone to give one a high five (slapping one's raised hand, as in a show of congratulation or celebration). Hit me, my friend! How've you been?
See also: hit
1. noun One who proactively pursues business deals, bargains, or other arrangements of benefit to oneself or one's organization, especially by aggressive, shrewd, or unscrupulous means. He's just another wheeler-dealer eager to turn a quick profit by any means necessary. These wheeler-dealers know how to manipulate the system in nefarious ways in order to line their own pockets. Make sure you're buying your car from a trusted dealership, not any old wheeler-dealer you meet online.
2. adjective Of or indicating such behavior, attitudes, or tactics. I decided to leave that wheeler-dealer lifestyle behind after seeing the cost it had on my family. It's that kind of wheeler-dealer attitude that brought our economy to its knees back in 2008.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. and hit me again tv. [in gambling] Deal me a card. Hit me again, dealer!
2. tv. Give me the high five. Hit me! Where you been? Hit me again!
3. and hit me again tv. Serve me (another) drink. Hit me again, bartender.
See also: hit
n. someone who bargains aggressively. (see also wheel and deal.) Who’s the wheeler-dealer who set up this deal?
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.