Also found in: Wikipedia.
A feeling of happiness in response to knowing that someone else is experiencing joy. It is most commonly used in reference to polyamory when one's lover is experiencing happiness in a relationship or sexual encounter with another partner. My sister is polyamorous, and she says she truly feels compersion when she sees her boyfriend with one of his other lovers—but I know I would be totally jealous in that situation.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
- feel a glow of happiness
- laugh out (of) the other side of (one's) mouth
- laugh out of the other side of mouth
- laugh out of the other side of one's mouth
- laugh out of the other side of face and laugh out of the other ...
- laugh out (of) the other side of (one's) face
- a song in (one's) heart
- a song in your heart
- joie de vivre