cheese(redirected from Cheese!)
Also found in: Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. interjection Said when one is having one's picture taken, as it is meant to produce a smile as one says it. A: "OK, everyone—smile and say 'cheese'!" B: "Cheese!"
2. slang Money. I got a tutoring gig to earn a little extra cheese on the side. With the amount of cheese they're pulling in every month, they can afford to pay me a little extra for my services.
3. slang Excessive or exaggerated sentimentalism, especially in art, music, or writing; schmaltz. The film is chock-full of cheese, to be sure, but it would take a heart of stone not to be moved by it all the same. Her latest romance novel has all the typical cheese we've come to expect by this point.
4. slang A combination of heroin with crushed tablets of over-the-counter drugs containing acetaminophen and diphenhydramine. There has been a sudden surge of teenagers dying of cheese overdoses in the area.
5. slang In baseball, a fastball, especially one that is particularly difficult to hit. The cheese this pitcher can throw is something incredible to behold!
6. vulgar slang Smegma.
cheese (someone or something)
slang In video games, to reduce an opponent's or enemy's health by deliberately and repeatedly using moves that are difficult or impossible for them to block. A noun or pronoun can be used between "cheese" and "down." He was supposed to be the toughest boss in the whole game, but I managed to lure him into a corner and cheese him without much difficulty.
See also: cheese
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. vomit. There’s cheese on the sidewalk. Look out!
2. in. to empty one’s stomach; to vomit. Somebody cheesed on the sidewalk.
3. in. to smile, as for a photographer who asks you to say cheese when a picture is taken. Why are you cheesing? Did something good happen.
4. n. money. (see also cheddar.) I don’t have the cheese to buy a new car.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (as) different as chalk and cheese
- a big cheese
- a big cheese/wheel
- a little bit of bread and no cheese
- and the moon is made of (green) cheese
- apples and oranges, like comparing
- as different as chalk and cheese
- be chalk and cheese
- big cheese
- big cheese, the
- chalk and cheese
- cheese (someone or something)
- cheese and kisses
- cheese down
- cheese it
- Cheese it the cops!
- cheese it, the cops
- cheese it-the cops!
- cheese off
- cheese someone off
- cheesed off
- chew the cheese
- cock cheese
- cut the cheese
- hard cheese
- have more holes than Swiss cheese
- know chalk from cheese
- like chalk and cheese
- like cheese at four pence
- make chalk of one and cheese of the other
- moon (is) made of green cheese, (and) the
- more holes than Swiss cheese
- say cheese
- Say cheese!
- stiff cheese
- the only free cheese is in the mousetrap
- tough cheese
- What's that got to do with the price of cheese?