the Big Three/Four/Five/etc.(redirected from Big 4)
Also found in: Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
the Big Three/Four/Five/etc.
A group of three, four, five, etc., people or things that are the most prominent, dominant, or established in an area, field, or discipline. These men came to be known as the Big Six of the civil rights movement, all of whom were instrumental in organizing the famous March on Washington in 1963. It's an open secret that members of the so-called Big Three corporate lobbies have the biggest impact on the crafting of trade legislation in the country.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
the big Three, Four, etc.the dominant group of three, four, etc. informal
1998 Sunday Telegraph The notion that someone outside the so-called ‘Big Four’—the ministerial group which meets before Cabinet —might be given such status is uplifting.
See also: big
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- be greater/more than the sum of its parts
- be more/bigger/greater than the sum of its parts
- (Someone or something) called, they want their (something) back!
- a one-trick pony
- a rotten apple spoils the (whole) barrel
- a rotten apple spoils the (whole) bunch
- a rotten apple spoils the (whole) bushel
- one rotten apple spoils the (whole) barrel
- a bad apple spoils the (whole) barrel