beg pardon(redirected from Beg pardon!)
1. I apologize for what I just did or said. (Short for "I beg your pardon.") Oh, beg pardon! I wasn't looking where I was going.
2. What did you just say? Could you please repeat that? Beg pardon? I couldn't quite hear you over the sound of traffic.
3. An expression or exclamation of indignation or incredulous disbelief. A: "I'm afraid we're going to have to cut your funding, effective immediately." B: "Beg pardon? Who on earth decided that?"
4. Could you please give me your attention. Beg pardon, everyone, but I'd like to get tonight's proceedings underway.
5. I believe you are mistaken or incorrect; I don't agree with you on that. A: "I just don't know that Timmy would be getting the education he deserves here." B: "Beg pardon, but I believe you'll find that our school is actually one of the best in the state, thank you very much!"
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
beg (someone's) pardon
Used to introduce a polite request.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.