ant(redirected from Ants)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Ants: Carpenter ants
A species of ant that is known to travel in armies and capture other ants. In today's class, we will study the behavior of the warrior ant.
ants in the/(one's) pants
Said of one who is unable to sit still, due to anxiety, excess energy, or impatience. The phrase is typically used with the verb "have." The kids really have ants in the pants today, so I'm going to take them to the playground. A: "Why is Carrie pacing?" B: "She's waiting for her doctor to call, so she's had ants in her pants all day."
have ants in the/(one's) pants
1. To be unable to sit still, due to anxiety, excess energy, or impatience. The kids really have ants in the pants today, so I'm going to take them to the playground. A: "Why is Carrie pacing?" B: "She's waiting for her doctor to call, so she's had ants in her pants all day."
2. To be interested in or in pursuit of sexual activity. You've been single for awhile now—don't you have ants in the pants yet?
*ants in one's pants
Fig. nervousness and agitation, (on the image of someone suffering great discomfort as if having actual ants in the pants. *Typically: get ~; have ~; give one ~.) I always get ants in my pants before a test. I wonder if all acton get ants in their pants before they go onstage.
ants in one's pants, have
1. Be extremely restless, uneasy, impatient, or anxious, as in This child just can't sit still; she must have ants in her pants. This rhyming idiom calls up a vivid image of what might cause one to be jumpy. [Slang; 1920s]
2. Be eager for sexual activity, as in Bill's got ants in his pants for Rita. This usage is less common today. [Slang; 1920s]
have ants in your pantsINFORMAL
If someone has ants in their pants, they cannot keep still. They all had ants in their pants, incapable of sitting in their seats for more than six minutes at a stretch.
have ants in your pantsbe fidgety or restless. informal
have ants in your pants(informal) be unable to stay still because you are anxious or excited about something: Relax and enjoy yourself — you’ve really got ants in your pants about something tonight!
have ants in one’s pants
tv. to be nervous and anxious. (see also antsy. Have got can replace have.) All kids’ve got ants in their pants all the time at that age.
1. n. a wretched and worthless person. (Often objectionable.) Look, you silly pissant, beat it!
2. mod. worthless. (Often objectionable.) I don’t want this little pissant piece of pie. Give me a real piece.
ants in (one's) pantsSlang
A state of restless impatience.