ah(redirected from AHS)
Also found in: Dictionary, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
An affirmative exclamation commonly used by members of the US military. The soldiers all shouted "Hoo-ah!" before dispersing.
1. noun, vulgar slang The testicles. I kicked the mugger in the nuts and grabbed my wallet back off him. He grabbed his nuts in a lewd gesture to the crowd.
2. noun, vulgar slang Confidence, self-esteem, motivation, etc. Often but not always said of a man. You've got nuts standing up to them like that, man. He doesn't have the nuts to try a plan that bold.
3. adjective Crazy; manic or eccentric; out of one's mind. Trying to figure out what's wrong with this computer is driving me nuts! You're totally nuts if you think they'll let you get away with it.
4. interjection An exclamation of dismay, frustration, or exasperation. Ah, nuts! I left my lunchbox on the school bus! A: "Nuts!" B: "What's wrong?" A: "The screwdriver slipped out of my hand and left a big gash in the wall."
A mild exclamation of anger, annoyance, regret, or disgust (about something). Typically preceded by the interjections "ah," "aw," or "oh." Shoot! I thought that would fix the problem with the computer, but I guess something else must be wrong. Ah, shoot—that was supposed to be a surprise for your birthday!
1. A mild exclamation of anger, annoyance, regret, or disgust (about something). Often preceded by the interjections "ah" or "aw." Shucks! I thought that would fix the problem with the computer, but I guess something else must be wrong. Ah, shucks—that was supposed to be a surprise for your birthday!
2. A mild exclamation of humility or embarrassment, especially when receiving praise or flattery. Often preceded by the interjections "ah" or "aw." A: "I wanted to give you this gift as thanks for everything you did for me and my family." B: "Aw, shucks. I was only doing my duty, ma'am." I've been thinking long and hard about what I would say if I won this award, but now that I'm here, well, shucks—I'm downright speechless!
3. noun Something of very little value. Used especially in the phrases "not worth shucks" and "not amount to shucks." All their promises won't amount to shucks if they aren't willing to back them up with action. I learned long ago that people like him aren't worth shucks.
See also: shuck
um and ah
To be hesitant or indecisive, especially when speaking out loud about a decision. "Um" and "ah" are common filler words used by habit or when one is deciding what to say. Try not to um and ah so much when you're considering a counter-proposal—it's not professional. It felt like that guy ummed and ahed for five minutes before he gave me his order.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
n. an asshole; a really wretched person. (A euphemistic disguise. Also a term of address. Rude and derogatory.) Look here, you goddamn AH! Who the hell do you think you are?
exclam. Yes! Are we ready? Hoo-ah! Hoo-rah, hoo-rah, hoo-rah.
1. mod. crazy. (There is no difference in pronunciation between nuts and nutz.) That whole idea is just nuts!
2. exclam. No!; I don’t believe you!; I don’t care! (Usually Nuts!) Oh, nuts! I forgot my wallet.
3. n. the testicles. (Usually objectionable.) Chuck got kneed in the nuts in a football game.
1. and shoot up tv. & in. to inject drugs, especially heroin. (Drugs.) He actually had to leave the meeting to shoot.
2. n. an injection of heroin. (Drugs. Usually shoot-up.) The way Ernie was yawning, I knew he needed a shoot-up.
3. tv. to spike a drink with liquor. I’m gonna shoot the punch with rum.
4. in. to begin to tell [something]. Okay, shoot. I’m all ears.
5. exclam. Darn! (Usually Shoot! An exclamation or a very mild curse. A substitute if not a euphemism for shit.) Oh, shoot! I left my shades in the car.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.