Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
all able-bodied people
Anyone and everyone who is able to help or contribute to a cause in some way. I'm calling on all able-bodied men and women in the area to lend a hand restoring the local church this weekend.
1. A woman who owns, manages, or is employed in a business. Though there's still a long way to go, the growing number of business women in today's economy is encouraging.
2. slang A female prostitute. It took me a minute to realize that the woman on the street corner was a business woman.
the little woman
One's wife. John might be coming camping with us this weekend, but he has to run it by the little woman first.
the little lady
One's wife. John might be coming camping with us this weekend, but he has to run it by the little lady first.
a woman of her word
A woman who can be expected to keep or follow through with her promises or intentions; a truthful, trustworthy, or reliable person. (Masculine: "man of his word.") Bob, I'm a woman of my word. If I tell you I'll be at your house tomorrow morning at 10, then that's when I'll be there. I've found Mary to be a woman of her word so far, so I'm confident she'll get us the best deal possible.
a man/woman of the people
A person who represents, understands, is in touch with, and is well liked by ordinary, everyday people. Often said of politicians or those who occupy positions of power, authority, or fame beyond that of the average person. The president was largely elected because she was seen as a woman of the people by voters. Now that she has taken office, her political mettle will truly be tested. The billionaire CEO has tried to remain a man of the people, spending his time working alongside entry-level employees and senior management alike.
a man/woman on a mission
A person who is fiercely determined to do or get what he or she wants. Janet stormed into work like a woman on a mission, heading straight into her boss's office to demand a raise in her salary. When my boyfriend decides he wants to buy something, he turns into a man on a mission.
a man/woman with a mission
A person who is fiercely determined to do or get what he or she wants. Janet stormed into work like a woman with a mission, heading straight into her boss's office to demand a raise in her salary. When my boyfriend decides he wants to buy something, he turns into a man with a mission.
1. A mildly disparaging term for (one's) mother. (Variant of "old lady.") One second, I need to ring my old woman and tell her where we're going after school.
2. (One's) girlfriend, wife, or romantic partner. Jane's always having to check in with her old woman whenever she comes with us on a night out. My old woman and I have been putting aside some savings for a vacation in the Bahamas this summer.
3. An exceptionally fussy, timid, circumspect, or anxious person, especially a woman. Ah, don't be such an old woman. Come out with us this Friday and live a little!
Men make houses, women make homes.
Prov. Men are often the ones who build or acquire houses for their families, but women provide the things that make a house into a home. When William moved into his own apartment, his mother insisted on choosing and arranging the furniture and decorations for him. "Men make houses, women make homes," she said, "and I want you to have a home as nice as the one you grew up in."
think you are God's gift to women(humorous)
if a man thinks he is God's gift to women, he thinks he is extremely attractive and that all women love him He's the most arrogant man I've ever met and he thinks he's God's gift to women. Oh for goodness sake, you really think you're God's gift to women, don't you!See can't think straight
See old lady