whoopee(redirected from whoopees)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
1. old-fashioned To celebrate loudly and exuberantly. We all made whoopee after Mabel won the quilting contest.
2. euphemism To have sex. No we didn't make whoopee on the first date. What do you take me for?
whoop it up
1. To celebrate or cavort in a noisy way. The team really whooped it up in the locker room after their big win. People at my neighbors' party were whooping it up till 3 AM last night, so I didn't get much sleep.
2. To generate enthusiasm or excitement among a group of people, typically by displaying such enthusiasm and excitement. If you're a speaker or entertainer, you know the value of having someone who can whoop it up and warm up the crowd.
1. old-fashioned Loud or exuberant celebration. You should have heard the whoopee after Mabel won the quilting contest.
2. euphemism Sexual intercourse. Often used the in the phrase "make whoopee." No we didn't make whoopee on the first date. What do you take me for? My dad always used to say that the only thing on boys' minds is whoopee.
whoop it up
to celebrate, especially with cheers and whoops. It was a very noisy party. Everyone was whooping it up well past midnight. The campaign workers whooped it up for their candidate. I can't get out there and whoop it up for something I don't believe in.
whoop it up
1. Also, make whoopee. Celebrate noisily, as in After exams they decided to whoop it up at their apartment, or Down in the basement the residents were making whoopee. The variant may be dying out. [Slang; late 1800s]
2. Arouse enthusiasm, especially politically, as in The volunteers' job is to whoop it up for the candidate. [Slang; late 1800s]
whoop it up1 enjoy yourself or celebrate in a noisy way, usually in a group. 2 create or show excitement or enthusiasm. US informal
make whoopee1 celebrate wildly. 2 make love. informal
ˌwhoop it ˈup(informal)
1 enjoy yourself very much with a noisy group of people: Of course I’m in a bad mood! I’ve been stuck here working while you’ve been whooping it up in the bar with your friends!
2 (American English) make people excited or enthusiastic about something: The emcee came on stage and really whooped it up for the next act.
make ˈwhoopee(old-fashioned, informal) celebrate in a noisy way: Here’s a photo of us making whoopee at Dave’s wedding.
whoop it upSlang
1. To have a jolly, noisy celebration.
2. To express or arouse enthusiasm; cheer: conventioneers whooping it up for their candidate.
1. To engage in a noisy, boisterous celebration.
2. To make love.
Celebrate noisily; a genteelly humorous term for having intercourse. In either chase, “whoopee” is the sound of enjoyment. “Makin' Whoopee” is the title of a 1928 hit song by Eddie Cantor, a cautionary tale in which the man in question goes from courtship to marriage to fatherhood and other responsibilities and finally to divorce.