Whenever the fancy takes him - Idioms by The Free Dictionary
whenever the fancy takes (one) (redirected from whenever the fancy takes him)
whenever the fancy takes (one)
Whenever one wants or feels compelled to do something. Now that you have your own car, you can go out whenever the fancy takes you!
as, whenever, etc. the fancy ˈtakes you as, whenever, etc. you feel like doing something: We bought a camper van so we could go away whenever the fancy took us.
References in periodicals archive
In other words, it's all a bit of a stramash, with each male hare in the group seemingly intent on having a go at his nearest neighbour whenever the fancy takes him
ALL-round entertainer Tim Healy has been known to break out into song whenever the fancy takes him
HAVE spectacular barneys when he returns to their main riverside mansion in Surrey' and -ARGUE about Ingrid's claims that her pounds 4million-a-year presenter hubby swans in and out of her life whenever the fancy takes him
He also drives middle daughter Eve (Meg Ryan) to distraction, because while dad is losing his marbles, he still remembers her phone number, which he calls whenever the fancy takes him
- when the chips are down
- when the dust has settled
- when the dust settles
- when the eagle flies
- when the fat lady sings
- when the going gets rough
- when the going gets tough
- when the going gets tough, the tough get going
- when the shit hits the fan
- when the spirit moves (one)
- when the time is ripe
- when the US/UK/China, etc. sneezes, Japan/Germany, etc. catches cold
- when two Fridays come together
- when two Sundays come together
- when two Sundays meet
- when you get a minute
- when you think about it
- when your back is turned
- when your ship comes in
- when your ship/boat comes in
- when you've seen one (something), you've seen them all
- when you've seen, heard, etc. one, you've seen, heard, etc. them all
- whenever the fancy takes (one)
- whenever the fancy takes him
- where (one) is coming from
- where (one) lives
- Where can I wash up?
- where do we go from here
- Where do we go from here?
- Where do you get off?
- Where have you been all my life?
- Where have you been keeping yourself?
- where head is at
- Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise
- Where in Sam Hill?
- Where in the Sam Hill?
- Where in the world...?
- Where in the world?
- where is at
- Where is the restroom?
- where it’s at
- where it's at
- where lives
- Where on earth?
- Where on God’s green earth?
- where one is coming from
- where one lives
- where somebody is coming from