wash(redirected from washes)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to washes: washes out
1. in. to be believed. (As if untruth were a stain that will not come out in the wash.) That’ll never wash! It’s totally unbelievable.
2. n. a drink that follows a previous drink; a chaser. Can I have a wash with this, bartender?
3. n. the almost simultaneous sale and purchase of the same stock, usually to make the stock appear to be trading actively. (Securities markets. The practice is illegal. Tax loss selling must be done in such a way to avoid appearing to be a wash.) I sold the stock and couldn’t buy it back for thirty days to avoid an illegal wash.
4. n. a whitewash or covering up (of a problem). What the administration presented was not an explanation but a wash.
- air dirty linen in public
- clean up
- come out in the wash
- come out in the wash, it will
- Do not wash your dirty linen in public
- I have to wash a few things out
- It won't wash!
- It'll all come out in the wash
- no dice
- one hand washes the other (and both wash the face)
- rinse mouth out
- wash (one's) dirty linen in public
- wash (someone's) mouth out (with soap)
- wash away
- wash dirty laundry in public
- wash down
- wash hands of
- wash of
- wash off
- wash one's dirty linen in public
- wash one's hands of
- wash out
- wash out of
- wash over
- wash overboard
- wash someone away
- wash up
- Wash your mouth out!
- washed out
- washed up
- Well, wash my mouth out with soap
- Where can I wash up?
- will not wash
- won't wash