Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. in. to be believed. (As if untruth were a stain that will not come out in the wash.) That’ll never wash! It’s totally unbelievable.
2. n. a drink that follows a previous drink; a chaser. Can I have a wash with this, bartender?
3. n. the almost simultaneous sale and purchase of the same stock, usually to make the stock appear to be trading actively. (Securities markets. The practice is illegal. Tax loss selling must be done in such a way to avoid appearing to be a wash.) I sold the stock and couldn’t buy it back for thirty days to avoid an illegal wash.
4. n. a whitewash or covering up (of a problem). What the administration presented was not an explanation but a wash.
- (one) does not wash (one's) dirty linen in public
- air dirty linen in public
- clean up
- come out in the wash
- come out in the wash, it will
- Do not wash your dirty linen in public
- I have to wash a few things out
- it all comes out in the wash
- it will come out in the wash
- It won't wash!
- It'll all come out in the wash
- lost in the wash
- no dice
- one hand washes the other (and both wash the face)
- rinse mouth out
- something won't wash
- something won't/doesn't wash
- wash (one's) dirty laundry in public
- wash (one's) dirty linen in public
- wash (one's) hands
- wash (someone's) mouth out (with soap)
- wash a brick
- wash away
- wash down
- wash hands of
- wash its face
- wash of
- wash off
- wash one's dirty laundry in public
- wash one's dirty linen in public
- wash one's hands of
- wash out
- wash out of
- wash over
- wash overboard
- wash someone away
- wash up
- wash your dirty linen in public
- wash your hands
- wash your hands of
- wash your hands of somebody/something
- wash your hands of something/someone
- wash your mouth out
- washed out
- washed up
- Well, wash my mouth out with soap
- Where can I wash up?
- will not wash
- won't wash