Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to wall up: canal wall up mastoidectomy
wall something up
1. to seal something up behind a wall. We simply walled the old furnace up. It was cheaper than removing it. They walled up the old furnace.
2. to fill up an opening, such as a window or door, by building a wall. We will have to hire someone to wall the doorway up. They walled up the doorway.
1. To block or close something, such as an opening or passage, with or as if with a wall: The safety inspector walled up the old mine shaft. The contractor walled the abandoned building up.
2. To confine or seal someone or something behind or as if behind a wall: The contractors walled up the wiring. In the fairy tale, a witch walled Rapunzel up in a tower.
3. To form a steep vertical surface. Used of an ocean wave: The wave walled up perfectly, and I dropped in.