Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
turn someone off
to dull someone's interest in someone or something. The boring prof turned me off to the subject. The preacher set out to turn off the congregation to sin.
turn something off
to switch something off so that it stops running or operating. Please turn the light off. Turn off the lights as you leave.
turn off (something) (some place)
to walk or steer one's vehicle off a route at a particular place. Turn off the highway at the first exit after the city. Let's turn off here. We turned off the path just past the big oak tree.
turn off something
to walk or turn a vehicle one way or another so that one leaves the road or route to another. You are supposed to turn off the highway at the yellow mailbox.
(something) onto something to walk or steer one's vehicle from one route to another. I turned off the main highway onto a side road. Ann turned off onto the shoulder.
[for something] to go off; to switch off. All the lights turn off automatically.
1. Stop the operation, activity, or flow of; shut off, as in Turn off the lights when you leave. [Mid-1800s]
2. Affect with dislike, revulsion, or boredom; cause to lose interest. For example, That vulgar comedian turned us off completely, or The movie was all right for an hour or so, but then I was turned off. [Slang; mid-1900s]
1. To leave some course or direction: Turn off at the next exit.
2. To stop the operation, activity, or flow of something: She turned off the television. He turned the radio off.
3. Slang To affect someone with dislike, displeasure, or revulsion: That song really turns me off. The editorial turned off many readers.
4. Slang To affect someone with boredom: The boring lecture turned off the class. The movie turned the audience off.
5. Slang turn off to To lose interest in something: My family turned off to boating once we started swimming more.
6. Slang turn off to To cause someone to lose interest in something: Breaking my leg turned me off to skiing. I looked forward to going to the beach, but after seeing all the drunk college students there, I got really turned off.
7. Slang To cease paying attention: Whenever you don't like what I say, you just turn off.
8. Slang To cause someone to lose sexual interest: Pickup lines turn me off. His rude behavior turned off everyone he tried to pick up.