Also found in: Legal, Wikipedia.
turn into someone or something
to change into someone or something. After work is over, he turns into a fairly nice person. The room turned into a very pleasant place when the lights were dimmed.
turn someone or something into someone or something
to change someone or something into someone or something else. The magician tried to turn Ginny into a robin. She turned the parrot into a dove.
1. To direct one's way or course into something: The truck turned into the gas station.
2. To cause someone or something to take on some character, nature, identity, or appearance; change or transform someone or something into someone or something: The designer turned a rundown house into a show place. We turned the spare room into a nursery.
3. To change into something or someone; become transformed into something or someone: The night turned into day. In the story, straw turns into gold.
4. To convert something into something: The singers turned their talent into extra money.
5. To pour, let fall, or otherwise release something into some receptacle: The chef turned the soup into the dish.