toy(redirected from toying)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A younger man who has sexual or romantic interactions with an (often) appreciably older woman, especially in a superficial or non-committal relationship. After her divorce, the actress was seen with several boy toys around town. Helen's boy toy stays over at her manse because she refuses to set foot in his frat house on campus.
boys and their toys
An expression implying that grown men have a greater tendency than women to be preoccupied with or drawn to mechanical objects, such as cars, gadgets, power tools, etc. John spends every Saturday out working on his car. Boys and their toys, am I right?
throw (one's) toys out of the pram
To behave in a petulantly upset or angry manner; to act like an angry child. Primarily heard in UK. Manchester United's star striker threw his toys out of the pram after he was ejected from the match for biting another player.
have toys in the attic
To be crazy; to act, think, or behave in an eccentric, foolish, or nonsensical manner. Tommy must have toys in the attic if he thinks he can convince our mother to let him get a tattoo for his birthday. There's an old lady who stands on the corner yelling at strangers all day. I think she might have toys in the attic.
A young man who is in a sexual relationship with an older woman. Heather is having too much fun with her new toy boy to get involved in a serious relationship.
like a kid with a new toy
Fig. very pleased; happily playing with something. Every time Bill gets a new gadget for his kitchen, he's like a kid with a new toy. Jane is absorbed in that computer. Just like a kid with a new toy.
toy with someone
to tease someone; to deal lightly with someone's emotions. Ann broke up with Tom because he was just toying with her. He was not serious at all. Don't toy with me! I won't have it!
toy with something
to play with something; to fiddle with something. You are just toying with me! Please don't toy with the stereo controls.
toy with somebody
to encourage someone to believe you care about them when you do not Don't fool yourself by thinking he wants a serious relationship - he's famous for toying with women.Related vocabulary: lead somebody on
toy with something
1. to think about something but not seriously We're toying with the idea of going to Peru next year.
2. to handle something or move it around without any clear purpose As he was speaking, he toyed nervously with a button on his jacket.
a toy boy(British, American & Australian informal) also a boy toy (American informal)
a young man who is having a sexual relationship with a woman who is much older than him Sheila's gone out rowing with Dieter, her new toy boy. These movie stars seem to have a new boy toy every week.
1. Amuse oneself idly with, trifle, as in He teased her, toying with her as a cat toys with a mouse. [Early 1500s]
2. Treat casually or without seriousness, as in I'm toying with the idea of writing a novel. [Early 1800s]
1. To amuse oneself idly by manipulating someone or something; trifle with someone or something: The cat toyed with the ball in its paws.
2. To treat something casually or without seriousness: I had toyed with the idea of going back to college, but I never actually applied.