Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
talk someone or something over (with someone)
to discuss someone or something with someone. I want to talk John over with my staff. I will talk over this matter with Sam.
talk something over
to discuss something. Come into my office so we can talk this over. We talked over the plans for nearly an hour.
talk over something
to use something, such as a microphone, intercom, or telephone, to talk. I don't mind talking over the telephone. I will talk to Jeff over the intercom and see what he thinks about the idea.
1. Discuss thoroughly, as in Let's talk over the entire plan and see if we discover any flaws. [First half of 1700s]
2. Win someone over by persuasion, as in We talked them over to our point of view. [First half of 1800s] Also see talk around.
1. To consider something thoroughly in conversation; discuss something: We talked the matter over. The panel talked over the proposal.
2. To succeed in gaining the favor or support of someone by persuasion: We talked them over to our side.
3. To speak and be heard amid some loud noise: It is impossible to talk over the noise of the machines.