sub(redirected from subbed)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A sandwich served on a long roll of bread, typically six inches to several feet in length, filled with a variety of ingredients including meat, cheese, and vegetables. Primarily heard in US. This restaurant across the road from our office makes the best sub sandwich in the city. I've gotten to where I go there two or three times a week for lunch. I'm ordering a few four-foot subs for the party this weekend, so if you have any food allergies, let me know before tomorrow.
sub for someone or something
to substitute for someone or something. I have to sub for Roger at work this weekend. Will pliers sub for the wrench you wanted?
sub someone for (someone else)and sub something for something else
to substitute someone for someone else or something for something else. I will sub Chuck for Roger for this next play only. We will sub the red ones for the blue ones.
1. n. a substitute. I was a sub in the school system for a while.
2. in. to serve as a temporary replacement. I subbed for Mary in a couple of games.
3. n. a submarine. I was aboard a sub for twenty minutes—and that was at Disney World.
4. Go to submarine (sense 1).
5. n. a subscription, as to a magazine. I got a sub to a computer magazine for my birthday.
1. and sub and hoagy and torpedo and grinder and poor boy and hero n. a long sandwich containing many different foods. (Sometimes many feet long. It is cut into smaller segments for serving a group. Usually contains sliced meats and cheese, as well as tomatoes and onions. Terms vary depending on where you are in the country.) He ordered a submarine, but he couldn’t finish it.
2. n. a large marijuana cigarette. Look at the size of that sub!
3. n. [menstrual] tampon. My God! I’m out of submarines!