strap(redirected from strappy)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. adjective (sometimes hyphenated) Very busy; preoccupied with many different things at once. Primarily heard in Australia. Sorry I couldn't make it to lunch today, I've been flat strap with the kids all day. I've been so flat-strap at work that I barely have time to see my kids anymore.
2. (sometimes hyphenated) At the greatest possible speed, efficiency, or power. Primarily heard in Australia. We drove that car flat strap out of town. The whole team is working flat-strap to get this project finished on time.
(as) flat as a strap
1. adjective Completely flat or flattened. I left my soda open overnight and now it's flat as a strap. The roads in this part of the country are as flat as a strap—no hills, no dips, nothing!
2. adjective Extremely fast. Primarily heard in Australia. John's new car is a beauty, and I bet it's flat as a strap.
3. adjective Very busy; preoccupied with many different things at once. Primarily heard in Australia. Sorry I couldn't make it to lunch today, I've been as flat as a strap with the kids all day. I've been flat as a strap at work lately—I barely have time to see my kids anymore.
4. adverb At the greatest possible speed, efficiency, or power. Primarily heard in Australia. We drove that car flat as a strap out of town. The whole team is working as flat as a strap to get this project finished on time.
strap on the (old) feed bag
slang To begin eating; to have a meal. I can't wait to get to grandma's and strap on the old feed bag. She always cooks the tastiest food! What do you say we strap on the feed bag before we head out?
strap on a pair
vulgar slang A derogatory exhortation to start acting in a more masculine manner; that is, to be more direct, aggressive, courageous, self-confident, and other such characteristics that are stereotypically considered to be masculine attributes. ("Pair" here refers to testicles, but the phrase can be said of or by both men and women.) You're never going to get the boss's respect if you keep kowtowing to him like that. You need to strap on a pair and show him that you deserve to be taken seriously! Janet, I know you're nervous about asking Tom out on a date, but just strap on a pair and give it a shot!
strap someone or something down
to tie or bind someone or something down to something. The nurses strapped Gary down in preparation for the operation. They strapped down the patient and gave him a sedative.
strap someone or something in(to) somethingand strap someone or something in
to tie or bind someone or something into something. Mother strapped little Jimmy into his seat. She strapped in Jimmy.
strap something on to someone or somethingand strap something on
to tie or bind something onto someone or something. The hiker strapped the load onto her partner. She strapped on the backpack.
1. To secure someone or something with a strap, especially a seat belt: Be sure to strap in the children before the car starts moving. We loaded the baggage onto the truck and strapped it in with a cord.
2. To secure oneself with a strap, especially a seat belt: The pilot climbed into the cockpit and strapped in.
beat the dummyand beat the meat and beat one’s meat and beat the pup and choke the chicken and pound one’s meat and pull one’s pud and pull one’s wire and whip one’s wire and whip the dummy and yank one’s strap
tv. to masturbate. (Usually objectionable.) Are you going to sit around all day pulling your pud? We heard him in there “choking the chicken,” as the street crowd says.
yank one’s strapverb
See beat the dummy
n. an athlete, not necessarily male. (From jockstrap.) The guy’s a strap all right, but he’s not dumb.
strap someone with someone or something
tv. to burden someone with someone or something. (Often passive.) Don’t you try to strap me with your baby brother!
n. an earnest and hardworking student. (As compared to a jock; strap; superjock.) I couldn’t be a super-strap even if I had the brains. I just don’t care that much.