stow(redirected from stowable)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to stowable: ostentatiousness, multifold, bothering, candidness, sordidness
to conceal oneself in a vehicle, originally a ship, in order to travel without paying. Don got to this country by stowing away on a cargo ship.
stow something away
to pack something away. I have to stow my clothes away before I go to bed. Please stow away your things and get right to work.
1. Put aside or store something until needed, as in We generally stow away the lawn furniture in the toolshed. [Late 1700s]
2. Hide oneself aboard ship or in a vehicle in order to get free transportation, as in The youngsters planned to stow away on a freighter but they never even got to the waterfront . This usage gave rise to the noun stowaway. [Mid-1800s]
2. Greedily consume food or drink, as in Bob sure can stow away a lot in a short time. [Colloquial; mid-1800s]
1. To put something away or store something, especially to keep a place uncluttered or in order: The platoon leader ordered the soldiers to stow away their sleeping bags and secure the campsite. My lawyer has stowed those papers away in a drawer somewhere.
2. To hide aboard a conveyance in order to obtain free transportation: Unable to afford tickets, the youths stowed away on a tanker.
3. To consume some food or drink greedily: For someone so tiny, you certainly stow away a lot of food! You must have liked that pork; you certainly stowed it away.
exclam. Shut up! Stow it! That is enough of your applesauce.
See also: stow