stick together(redirected from stick something together)
1. To become and remain attached; to adhere together. All the pages are sticking together because of the humidity. I hate it when my pasta gets stuck together like this.
2. To affix something to another thing, especially with an adhesive of some kind. A noun or pronoun is usually used between "stick" and "together." They're trying to stick the pieces of the broken lamp together with tape. That doofus stuck his fingers together with superglue.
3. To assemble or reassemble something, especially quickly, easily, or sloppily. A noun or pronoun is usually used between "stick" and "together." It shouldn't be too hard to stick the thing together. Do we need any tools? They stuck the desk back together with duct tape. You can't even put anything on it or else it will collapse.
4. To remain in close company or contact (with someone else). My friends and I stuck together all throughout high school, but we drifted apart once we all started going to college. I think we've gotten separated from the others. Let's stick together until someone comes looking for us.
5. To remain committed, loyal, or united. We'll be able to negotiate a better deal so long as we all stick together. They can't fire all of us, after all.
stick something together
1. to glue or paste something together. Use glue to stick these pieces together. Please stick the pieces of the broken vase together with glue.
2. to assemble something, perhaps in haste. He just stuck the model plane together, making a mess of it. Don't stick the parts together so fast. It won't look good.
1. Lit. to adhere to one another. The noodles are sticking together. What shall I do? You need to keep the pieces separate while you fry them or else they will stick together.
2. Fig. to remain in one another's company. Let us stick together so we don't get lost. They stuck together through thick and thin.
Remain united, as in It's important that we stick together on this issue. [Mid-1500s]
1. To join or put someone or something together with or as if with an adhesive material: I stuck the pieces together with glue. The hotel stuck us all together in one room.
2. To become or remain attached or in close association by or as if by adhesion: Two dollar bills stuck together, and I accidently counted them as one. Let's stick together so we don't get lost in the crowd.