Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to steam up: steam whistle, steam table, steam cleaner
steam someone up
1. Sl. to get someone excited. steam yourselves up and get in there and win this game! The coach can really steam up those guys.
2. si to get someone angry. This whole mess steamed me up but good. The long critical statement simply steamed up my opponent in the debate.
steam something up
to cause something to be covered with water vapor due to the presence of steam. Our breaths steamed the windows up. The hot shower steamed up the mirror.
1. Lit. to become covered with a film of steam or water vapor. The windows steamed up and we had to wipe them so we could see out. The window has steamed up, and I can't see.
2. to drink heavily; to get drunk. Fred and Mike were steaming up in the back room.
1. To fill some area with steam: The shower always steams up the mirror. The pot of boiling water is steaming the room up.
2. To make someone very angry. Used chiefly in the passive: I was really steamed up over the insult.
in. to drink heavily; to get drunk. (see also steamed (up).) Let’s go down to the tavern and steam up, okay?